Thursday, September 4, 2008

NFL Predictions

Out of sheer boredom from the fact that I just finished the book I was reading, Carrie was asleep by a quarter to 9, and I am postponing writing a cover letter for a job at Google, I am going to do an NFL preview. I know less than half of you will care, but I figured why not?

NFC East:
Philadelphia 12-4
Dallas 10-6
NY Giants 8-8
Washington 6-10

Philly - McNabb will have another year where everyone wonders why they didn't take him higher in the fantasy drafts. Until he gets hurt. Weak receivers though, but Westbrook is awesome. Defense will be great this year.

Dallas - Romo won't be as good this year. Barber/F Jones will be productive at RB, TO will have a big year, and Pacman will have a return to glory. Tough division though, and tough schedule to end the year. O-line is overrated. I should be watching them on that HBO show! I keep forgetting.

Giants - (Yes, I know they have already won tonight.) Super Bowl hangover - may not make the playoffs this year. Really overachieved last year, and lack of depth on the defensive line will hurt them. Eli is the backup on my keeper team, so I hope he starts off by tearing it up so I can trade him.

Redskins - Campbell is just not good enough. He will lose his starting job to Colt Brennan, who will lead them in a late season charge. Made an emotional playoff run last year, but I don't see them repeating.

NFC West:
Seattle 11-5
Arizona 8-8
St. Louis 5-11
San Francisco 5-11

Seattle is always good and gets no credit. They have Hasselbeck and a bunch of talented wideouts, then some solid RBs. Their O-line needs to play better than last year - losing Hutchinson hurt them, but Walter Jones is still one of the best in the game. Their defense is solid up front. But they have made the playoffs for something like 5 years in a row, but don't get any televised games this year. I don't get it.

Arizona - maybe this is the year they finally deliver and make the playoffs. I don't see it with Warner, and Leinart is in danger of becoming a fluke. He still gets laid more than I do, and I am a newlywed. Their receivers are awesome, Pope could have a big year at TE, Edge needs to put up 1000 yards and 7 TDs for me to be competitive in my keeper league, and their defense will be a surprise this year if they can stay healthy.

St. Louis - where the gun play ring all day. They will score a ton this year and give up even more. Start your offensive guys against St. Louis but not your defense. Especially if their O-line can stay healthy for once. Their points for and against will look like the Texas Rangers this season.

San Francisco - They are starting JT O'Sullivan, Bryant Johnson, and Isaac Bruce this year. Patrick Willis is a beast on defense though. I really got nothing to add here.

NFC North
Green Bay 12-4
Minnesota 10-6
Chicago 6-10
Detroit 4-12

Green Bay - I think Aaron Rogers will be fine, but not stellar. He won't lose a ton of games, especially with the weapons he has around him. Their defense is kickass, and they might get 6 wins against the division. They only allowed 19 sacks all of last season!

Minnesota - Awesome defense, offensive line, and running back. Really, a Super Bowl contender if they had a solid QB. Or even a good backup QB. I just don't see their QBs winning any games for them this year, but the rest of the team is so talented. I wouldn't start my offensive guys against this defense if I could help it.

Chicago - No depth at all. QB situation is whatever, and they have no discernible wide receivers. Sure, they have good players here and there, but still. They would finish at the bottom of the division, if not for...

Detroit - What can I say? I only follow the Titans more than these guys, but yikes. They do have some quality guys here - Kevin Smith will be solid, and their WR duo is among the best in the league. But their O-line allows too many sacks, their defense is more porous than it should be, and they are just not well coached. I am glad the Mike Martz era is over, but our passing is our strength now! Kitna might be the first QB ever with 30TDs and 30 INTs.

NFC South
New Orleans 9-7
Tampa Bay 9-7
Carolina 9-7
Atlanta 3-13

New Orleans has tons of offense. I like them to return to form this year. That is, only if the secondary can stop the pass at all. They might be one of those teams that scores a lot and gives up a lot, but still wins 34-31 each week. This will be the prediction that you laugh at me for at the end of the year.

Tampa Bay - Probably will win the division, but Jeff Garthia is underwhelming. They are young at o-line and d-line, but their secondary will carry them.

Carolina - Will actually win this division, but whatever. Delhomme is solid, WR and RB are good, and their defense will return to form. Should have picked them.

Atlanta - Matt Ryan will struggle, Michael Turner will suck to the point that he will cost me 3 different fantasy leagues, Roddy White will be okay at WR, but the rest of the team is whatever. Their O-line used to be dominant, I don't follow them enough to figure out where that went wrong.

AFC East
New England 13-3
NY Jets 8-8
Buffalo 7-9
Miami 5-11

New England - No way they go undefeated again. I don't know who will beat them, but whatever. Bound to have some injury issues. But they will probably win it all.

NY Jets - On the verge of the playoffs without Favre. Now, on the verge of the playoffs with Favre, but their WR will have better fantasy numbers. Especially Cotchery. Have rebuilt beautifully over the last 2 drafts.

Buffalo - No solid QB, and no defense. Other than that, they will be fine. O-line is solid and consistent. Defense will have Posluszny back, but that's about it. Honestly, I don't even know who their starting QB is.

Miami - Rebuilding well. Jake Long and Chad Henne will lead the resurgence. Henne throwing to Ginn next year makes me feel weird. But still, 5 wins is a kind prediction by me.

AFC West
San Diego 12-4
Denver 9-7
Kansas City 6-10
Oakland 5-11

San Diego - Still awesome, year after year. Will lose again in the playoffs, like they do year after year. The whole Merriman thing blows my mind - playing football on 2 torn knee ligaments? Yikes. Rivers is overrated.

Denver - Should have put 8-8, but they have KC and Oakland to play twice. Weak O-line, weak defense. I mean, comparatively weak. Anyone of them could kick my ass. Plus, their O-line intentionally tried to cause knee injuries, so now they can't stop Merriman who has nothing left in his knee to lose.

KC - LJ will get hurt, I don't know their QB, and they traded away a dominant young defensive player in order to rebuild, which makes no sense.

Oakland - I hope JaMarcus does well at QB, but the rest of the team leaves a lot to be desired. And their fans freak me out.

AFC North
Pittsburgh 9-7
Baltimore 8-8
Cleveland 6-10
Cincinnati 6-10

Pittsburgh - I hope they do well. Big year for Big Ben. Talented young receivers. I worry that the division will play them tough, and that their offensive line will not be good this year. Their defense is solid, but weak on depth. I still predict that Big Ben will have close to 40 TDs this year.

Baltimore - I really just hate this team. I don't know why - I like a lot of the players. Probably that playoff defeat of the Titans a few years ago. But their offense will not be that good this year. Their defense will be insane, but will wear down as they play 40 minutes a game.

Cleveland - Nice steal of Shaun Rogers from the Lions, but no way they repeat last year's success. They should have traded Derek Anderson while they had the chance. They gave up too many draft picks for a backup QB, and then Bodden will shine in Detroit this year. Their offensive line can't repeat last season's awesomeness.

Cincinnati - Just a train wreck. Palmer will still post big numbers, but as much as I love Chris Perry, he is no better than a couple of free agents available right now. No way to predict what will happen with their new defense this season. I do hate the state of Ohio though.

AFC South
Indianapolis 10-6
Jacksonville 10-6
Houston 8-8
Tennessee 7-9

Indy - Really will have a down year this year. Too many injuries - they need to hire a new medical and conditioning staff. Manning will be solid, as will Wayne, Gonzalez, and Addai. They get good karma for drafting Mike Hart. But too many injuries.

Jacksonville - The team everyone is picking this year. Just don't think that Garrard is all that. WR are pretty good I guess, but RB situation is awesome. Good O-line, but overrated defensive seven. Secondary will be helped with that draft pick, but I just don't see them running away with the AFC this year.

Houston - I wonder if Mario Williams watches coverage of the 2006 draft and laughs when people doubt him being chosen over Bush, VY, and Leinart. DeMeco Ryans is a beast, but there is not a lot of depth at defense. If Schaub and Andre Johnson play the whole year, they could legitimately contend for a playoff spot. They need to draft more defense next year. But they might finally have an offensive line this year!

Tennessee - I saved the best for last! Honestly, I will say they can contend for the Super Bowl. There, I said it. This is, of course, if VY gets injured or improves at a level unprecedented in football annals. Their Offensive Line is awesome, and is the only one in the league where I can name all 5 starters (plus some backups). If the rookies at DE can step up, then we can prove the doubters wrong! The secondary looks great, we have Kearse back at DE, Haynesworth needs to sign a big deal to stay in town. We just need a QB and some WR! Chris Johnson will be incredible this year going forward. Seriously - give me some wide outs! We could be a 13-3 team if we had someone like Garrard or if we had signed Culpepper! But I am more intrigued by these guys more than any other team in the year, because of their high ceiling and low floor. Really they could go 4-12 and I wouldn't be surprised, or they could go 11-5 and say that I knew it would happen.

Thanks if you read it, see you later if you didn't. PS - I even made sure that the records evened out to zero. Also, I did this more for myself than for anyone else. I want to go back at the end of the year to see how I did.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I don't feel that good about Philly- I think you have them and Dallas backwards. But then, I'm drinking the Hard Knocks kool-aid.

The Redskins looked horrible tonight- the Giants had no problems stopping the run, and let Campbell throw whenever he wanted to, and it was a disaster. That should be every team's game plan against them.
(But the Giants didn't look awesome or anything. I still think Eli sucks.)

GB- it's easy to avoid sacks when you aren't scared to throw the ball to the other team! Just kidding, Brett- I love ya. Best of luck in NJ, especially since you're starting for me in one league.

Seriously though, why is VY such a disaster? It pains me. How long do we have to stick with him? I'd happily start Kerry Collins. He looked solid in our last preseason game! He also looked old, though. We're screwed.