Tuesday, July 8, 2008

#5 - Waitmares

So, the holiday weekend, along with Carrie leaving for Memphis, has caused me to fall behind on my blog post goal for July. But fear not - I am home alone for the next few days, so I will get right on track after a short post tonight.

The other night, I had a waitmare. For those of you who have never waited tables, a waitmare is when you have a nightmare about your job as a server. In this one for instance, I kept getting sat, and the ice machine was out of ice. This dream took place at some dreamland-modified version of Brooklyn Bridge, which is weird since I haven't worked there since the 90s. However, at one point, I turned around and my section was entirely sat, which was somewhere between 15-20 tables. This was the breaking point in the dream where I stopped caring and woke myself up. It is weird - now that I don't wait tables anymore, I have trained myself to get out of those dreams when I have them. I just thought it was weird that I had a waitmare after 5 years off from waiting tables.

The only other recurring nightmare I have involves college, and finding out that I have a final exam in a class that I have been skipping all semester because I thought I dropped it. Almost inevitably, the class is a math class, which is weird since I majored in and went to grad school for a completely different subject. I haven't trained myself to wake up from these yet, although I am working on it. Apparently, when you are reading in a dream, you only see words as you read them or something weird - I was able to wake myself from a dream recently where I realized that the book/page I was reading was really blank, and I could just make up what I would read next.

It is nice to not have a stressful job that causes me nightmares right now. However, I am sure that there will be a whole new realm of nightmares that comes with having kids that I have to look forward to in a few years. Bad dreams are few and far between for me right now, so I need to enjoy my sleep right now, while I can. Especially the awesome dreams that are so complex that it makes me think that one day I could write an awesome book.

Speaking of dreams, I am off to have some right now! Talk to you soon!

2 comments:

Stanfill said...

i am so glad that i don't have waitmares anymore. they were the worst! especially, when you had to wake up early and go right back to the restaurant. now that i am a teacher, i have had a few teacher-mares (what would you call them?). they are strange and scary. the kids take over because in these dreams-my classroom management is not so great. attack of the monkeys-it's scarier than it sounds.

Stephanie said...

Attack of the monkeys sounds terrifying.

I have two basic waitmares. In one, I'm working in a huge restaurant like Spaghetti Warehouse and my station is completely across the restaurant from the kitchen. In the other, I keep getting behind because I'm basically moving in slow motion while everything else is normal speed.

Lately I've had a few where during the waitmare I suddenly realize that it's in the present, so I get real freaked out because I'm waiting tables as a second job when I should be home with my kids. (For some reason these involve Grady's and manager Craig.) I usually wake up sobbing from these. So that's what having kids does to your dreams.