Thursday, December 20, 2007

Xmas Songs I forgot to list...

When Carrie and I got engaged 3 years ago at Christmastime, we walked back to the car and said that we would always remember the first song we heard on the radio. So help me, that song was "We Need a Little Christmas" from the musical Mame or whatever. I thought it was like Lawrence Welk or something - it was the song that always cracked us up because it is so Broadway-ey. But, we will always have a special place for this song because of it. So, let us retroactively place it at 2.5 on my list below.

Also, I have to address the Elvis issue. Now, I love me some Elvis - when Websense was down at work, I would play CC Rider when I left the office just for fun. Plus, when you move away from Memphis and tell people that you are from Memphis, it is the first thing they think of to mention back to you. This has happened more times than you can imagine:
Other person: "Shannon, where are you from?"
Me: "Memphis, TN, actually."
Other person: "Ah. Elvis!"
So, I left Blue Christmas off the list only because of the "oo oo oo oo" that never ends during the song. I have his Christmas album and love it. In hindsight, I should have put it on the list in the name of civic pride. That being said, I do love the version by the band Low. I think they used it in a Gap commercial.

Another thing I neglected - anything related to the Peanuts Christmas. I also forgot to mention that there are several other songs on Nat King Cole's album that should have been there. Maybe the whole thing. And in hindsight, I should have put Dave Matthews on the list - it is just a great song.

I think that covers the songs I forgot. Well, maybe the Hawaiian song featured in Christmas Vacation - I don't want to look up how to spell it. And when I was young, I really liked the song from the end of Scrooged, but if I listened to it now it might seem too cheesy.

No comments: