Sunday, January 27, 2008

51-75

51) I have a never ending need for external validation. If I saved you from a burning building, I wouldn't just assume your gratitude - I need to hear it.
52) I use humor as a defense mechanism and as a coping device.
53) I completely misunderstood the lyrics to "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman for about 12 years. I always thought she was leaving her small town finally, when she tragically was involved a car wreck and couldn't leave. I thought she was "speeding so fast 'cause that guy was drunk" and the accident made it so "I've got legs wrapped 'round my shoulders". This was what I honestly thought the lyrics were.
54) Last November, I went to Memphis for Cullen's birthday, and we played golf. On one tee shot, I completely strained my rib cage, and it made it uncomfortable to move for several weeks. I just realized today that my ribs are still sore from that. I am an old man.
55) I miss my sister, why'd I go ?
She's the one who took me
To my first all-ages show.
It was Mr. Big - they were en fuego,
They had a record out, but it was before they went gold.
I miss my sister. I really miss her.
56) I still take Flintstones vitamins every day.
57) I still have all of my flannel from the 90s, because I am convinced that it will come back in style.
58) I hate bottling up emotions. If something pisses me off, I would rather just yell an obscenity and then go on with my life, instead of having it all come out as road rage or something.
59) I apparently have a very distinctive laugh. I would never have realized until Carrie pointed out that when I laugh hard at something around other people, they all laugh at my laughing. But not in a bad way.
60) In my entire life, I have probably smoked 3 cigarettes, excluding that one time I went to Canada. I don't get the appeal. And I don't want to.
61) I scored a perfect 800 on the math part of my GRE. However, I was too pissed off to notice what an achievement it was. See, it was the second time I took the GRE because I wanted to bring up my verbal, and my verbal score went down 10 points.
62) If we hang out long enough, I will bring up my 800 on the GRE math. Anytime someone mentions a standardized test, it is a matter of time before it comes out. I want my GRE scores on a t shirt.
63) One of my BIG pet peeves - how can I say this knowing who reads this blog... - I hate teabagging the toilet. I mean, come on - I'm not Cisco Adler or anything. You need to fix your toilets - I can't be the only guy that this happens to. Plus, your water bills will decrease if you are able to fix this problem.
64) I am not a conspiracy theorist - anymore. Although I still think that there was a conspiracy about JFK - I just don't see how there wasn't one. If I need to read all 26 volumes of the Warren Report, I will do it.
65) I love the Oscars, but I don't try to see all the movies like I used to. But, the following best picture winners actually weren't all that great: Crash, Forrest Gump, American Beauty, Ghandi.
66) Since moving to Michigan, I have become a big fan of the Pistons and the Tigers. The Tigers were never my favorite baseball team - I have always been a Cubs fan. But now, the Cubs seem like they are trying to buy a title. The Tigers have been more shrewd in terms of trades and free agent signings as well as developing their talent from within.
67) As for the Pistons, they are just more fun than most other basketball teams. Sheed is crazy, but we all love him. Chauncey hits the big shots, per his nickname. Tay is just so much more solid than anyone would have expected. Rip never stops moving - it is insane. And don't get me started on Maxiell and Amir.
68) I loved the Red Wings before I got here. But really, they are the only hockey team where I know all the players. I was amazed that I watched the NHL All Star game and didn't recognize a couple of people.
69) While I have adopted those teams as my favorites in their respective sports, my favorite professional team is easily the Tennessee Titans. Ask me now - I could name their entire starting lineup - and some of the backups. I just can't get into the Lions. If they got good, maybe. But I would root for the Titans over the Lions any day of the week.
70) College sports - it is all about the 3 Ms - Michigan, Memphis, and Marshall.
71) I used to think I was a genius because I can hold two opposing viewpoints in my mind at the same time, and there was a saying about that at some point. However, I have come to realize that I am just indecisive.
72) I like to believe that after I die, I will live my life again, only starting at one point early on where I will do one little thing differently that completely changes the rest of my life. It will be a parallel life, but in a different universe, and there are infinite possibilities. Therefore, I will always exist - I mean, time isn't linear, right? But yeah, this probably isn't the case. And no, I'm not high! I just really like this book.
73) I can dish it out, but I can't take it. (The opposite of what she said.)
74) If I won the lottery, the first thing I would buy would be a really expensive bottle of wine. Then a car, a big screen TV, a house for me, and a house for mom.
75) One of the things on my list of things to do before I die is to really see the northern lights in all their glory. Here, I have lived in Michigan for 8 years and not seen them. I saw them on the horizon once while camping up north, but I want to see them fill the sky and dance around. I just need to plan a weekend in Calgary with Carrie at some point.

No comments: