Sunday, January 6, 2008

Josh Gro(wned)ban

A couple of months back (I can't remember the exact date, because this actually didn't happen), I was listening to the radio on my way home from work. All of a sudden, I lost reception or something, which was strange because it is a station I always pick up. I could only hear a static-y mess of strings and drums, and occasionally it sounded like a Halloween sound effect CD or a recording of a fight between two or more alley cats. I was fascinated - was this a song or a cruel joke? Moments later, the DJ came on and said that I had been listening to Josh Groban.

Well not really. But seriously though, I cringe every time I hear Josh Groban "sing". I am just not a fan. So back in November, Jerry and Janfill come up for Thanksgiving. I don't remember exactly when we were talking about Groban, probably because one of the radio stations had moved to an all Christmas format by this point and one of his "songs" was on, but Jan let me know that she thinks he is great and has a great voice and all. Now, she is probably right - I just think he is a failed opera singer who puts out cheesy crap - but, we teased each other about him and his "music" the whole time. It was and still is a running thing I have with her, in that she will play one of his "songs" and I will run away.

Fast forward to Christmas day (not in the morning), and we are all at Aunt Jackie's house (Jackie is Jan's sister) for the afternoon. Now, let me just say that I love Carrie's Aunt Jackie - we get along great, and it is encouraging because I really don't get to see Carrie's extended family that much. The fact that we live so far away made it difficult to really develop relationships with each other's immediate family at first, much less any extended family, so the fact that her Aunt Jackie looks at me like one of the family really makes me feel accepted. Well, it came time to exchange gifts, and I get a gift from Jackie that is obviously a CD. I am thinking it is one of those Best Buy gift cards, but I start to open it and of course I see Josh Groban's fugly-ass face trying to turn me on or something, on the cover of his Christmas "album" of "songs" where he is "singing".

Now, of course, I just am thinking "haha" and I look in Jan and Carrie's general direction with a look like, "you got me, very funny". Jan asks me what I got, and I show them and Carrie says, "Shannon - I don't think Jackie knows..." Then Jackie looks at me and says, "what, do you not like it?" I was literally speechless - I am momentarily sitting there thinking, oh no, I am an ass because I am ragging on a gift when she tried to actually get me something that I might like instead of getting me a gift card. Then, I am thinking, even if I try to play off that I like it, it will come out from Jan that I truly hate this guy, and Jackie is going to be devastated, and this is going to set back my status as just one of the family! I just had no idea of how to react here. I wish someone would have taped the whole thing just so I could see the look on my face!

Luckily, Jackie started laughing, and Jan had told her to get me that as a joke - the gift was actually for Jan, and I was free to point out that his singing sounds like the death throes of a dying wildebeest and all. My real present was this awesome book called The Book of General Ignorance, and I finished it before the new year. Jackie said she saw it and thought of me because it looked like something I would like. And she was exactly right! She does know me! Seriously, if you thought I was annoying before (and you did), just wait until you say something that this book says otherwise.

Just to let you know, I don't know if Carrie has ever made me speechless in the 8 years that we have been dating. (OK, she has, but those are stories for another time.) It is rare that someone gets me good like that, so hats off. Jackie - thanks for the real gift, although I hate that you had to add to Josh Groban's album sales! :)

1 comment:

Shannon said...

it WAS as you say "teh awesome".