Friday, February 22, 2008

2008 Reading List

One of the things I wanted to do this year was to make sure to keep track of the books I read. That way, I can see if I read more or less than I think that I do. I fell that I read a fair amount of books in 2007, including the Harry Potter series from start to finish. It is just, I read mainly on the john, or in situations where I am waiting, like the doctor's office. Carrie and I never turn off the TV to sit around and read our books. In the evenings, we really have about 4 or 5 hours together, most of which are spent cooking, going to the store, or watching TV.

I don't read nonfiction the way I used to in grad school (obviously), so I would like to make sure I throw one in there every once in a while. Here are the books I have read so far in 2008:

Can I Keep My Jersey?
, Paul Shirley - I would recommend this for sports fans. It is a quick read, and gives a good account of what life is like for a professional athlete who isn't an elite in their sport.

Watchmen, Alan Moore - Literally the first graphic novel I have read from start to finish. I have read parts of Maus, and should read it all, but you kind of have to be in that place. But Watchmen is definitely one that everyone should read - very important, very influential, possibly one of the best novels of the last century. I went out tonight and got The Dark Knight Returns because this book actually made me interested in the genre.

Velocity, Dean Koontz - Okay, so when I was in high school, I loved me some Dean Koontz. Even though all his books are basically the same, they always drew me in. It isn't great literature by any stretch of the imagination. Plus, I have his old books, and his picture is on the book jacket somewhere - he used to be bald and proud of it, but at some point he decided to get the world's worst toupee. It is beyond words - groin grabbingly bad. But, I think that every once in a while, a Koontz book won't hurt anyone. Just don't fool yourself into thinking what you read was a good book. I hate to be that way - trust me, pick a Koontz book you liked, then read 5 of his books in a row before reading your favorite one, and you'll see what I mean.

Right now I am trying to finish a book of short stories by Koji Suzuki (the Japanese Stephen King apparently), and I just started reading the Deadspin book, which is fantastic. I already read Spiral by Suzuki, and really enjoyed it - it is the sequel to The Ring. I also got this awesome book on American landmarks and how wrong they are - it is written by the same guy who wrote this book.

So, every once in a while I might like to post about some of the books that I am reading. I am up for any suggestions based on what I am already reading.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I have been reading the same three books for all of 2008. The only one I've made any progress on is the one I keep in mine and Chip's bathroom. I can't find time to read otherwise!

Chip said...

That list looks remarkably like the bookcase in our living room...