Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Red Wings, Wedding Rings

So, finally back to the blog. It has been a hectic month to say the least. In my mind, I have written hundreds of blog posts recounting every minute of the whole week of the wedding, to the point that it almost seems unnecessary. Everyone was great, everything was great, it was just the best time ever. It was one of the 5 biggest days of my life, and I knew that going in, but it was also one of the 5 best days of my life, and that was up in the air going in.

Tara, who cuts my hair and was at the wedding, warned me of a "let down" period immediately following the wedding. Since you have spent the last however many months planning this thing every single night almost, you suddenly don't have anything to occupy your time afterwards. Well, I am here to let you know, we are not there yet. I went back to work in a mad rush to hit my May quota, because I hate my job. Carrie went back to only 3 or 4 weeks left in the school year to do a whole bunch of grading, and now she is a little under the weather. So (un)luckily, things have remained too hectic for us to realize that we aren't the centers of attention anymore!

We are also having fun using everything left over from the wedding - you know, the gifts! We get to use our wine glasses for their intended grapes, we brought our appetizers to a Memorial Day party in the new bowls and plates that we got, we towel off with our new towels, we cook with our new kitchen gadgets, etc.

In addition to our jobs and our extravagant "foodie" routines, let's not forget the Red Wings. All night long I have been excited because tomorrow I get to watch the Wings. The level of hockey they are playing right now is among the highest I have seen in my lifetime. I wait for each game with the anticipation I usually reserve for new episodes of Lost. Once the Stanley Cup playoffs are over, all I have are the Pistons losing either this round or the next, and then the Tigers are done and the Cubs will eventually blow it.

However, now I have to stop procrastinating on all the things that I was putting off until after the wedding. Such as:
- Losing weight/exercising. I know you are probably thinking, isn't that something you needed to do before the wedding? Well, yeah, but the last 2 weeks have seen me put on roughly 48 pounds. The hectic schedules and honeymooning and our love of food and wine have resulted in a month long period since I counted Weight Watchers points on any single day. It is difficult now that I have no end date for any specific weight loss. Plus, I can't get my ring off, because all the weight is going to my fingers. I am going to get a dunlap if I don't start jogging my ass around the block.
- Updating my resume. Yeah, I don't necessarily want to quit my job, but this isn't my dream job or anything. Why not see what else is out there for a guy with a graduate degree in the liberal arts and 5 years of inside sales experience?
- Cleaning the house. And by cleaning, I mean a spring clean type, large scale evacuation of clutter. Everything must go! Now that I have about 15 new towels, I can finally take the 1992 Summer Olympic towels to Goodwill. Plus, we need a place to put the China. Ugh.
- Finish paying off the debt from the wedding. And, well, the last 14 years of my adult life, including student loans. But whatever.
- Getting a down payment for a car. Then for another car. Then for a house.
- Convince at least one out of towner who came to the wedding that they need to move to Ann Arbor. Seriously - your town sucks, my town rules. Break your routines and come on down! Or, up. The winters aren't an excuse - would you rather have sub zero temps for 2 months, or 100 degree 100 percent humidity days for 2 months, peppered with the occasional tornado warning? You can go outside and play in a snowstorm, you can't play in hail and lightning.
- Finally, we are going to start hanging out with other people. Everyone who made the effort to come to the wedding is just a lifelong friend now, and we want to see you. If it weren't for everyone at the wedding just being awesome, the whole thing would not have gone as smoothly. We owe our biggest day as a couple to all of you, so from now on, expect to see a lot more of us!

As soon as we take care of all of that, we promise that we will start thinking about having kids.

2 comments:

Cullen said...

I can't imagine who you would be trying to convince to move to Ann Arbor! Find me a house we can afford, and 2 well paying jobs that we will enjoy and then we can talk.

An said...

you have the honor of being the first non top chef blogger's blog i have printed and read on the pooper