Tuesday, December 18, 2007

8 Years Ago today (our version)

In August of 1999, I moved away from home. It only took (almost) 23 years, and since Steph had moved out so early, I one-upped her by moving 700 miles away. The first semester at grad school was legendary - I completely came into my own and became who I am today. I had a lot of fun, but the whole time, I was looking forward to Steph's wedding because I really had hit it off with Carrie before I moved. I didn't know what I was thinking - I mean, I wasn't just looking forward to hooking up at a wedding or anything. It was different - I just saw myself dating this girl.

Day of Steph's wedding - I am waiting to walk down the aisle with Steph to give her away. Very emotional and proud moment in my life. Well, the front door was right there, and in comes Carrie, running late. I was popped right out of my "this is a real emotional moment in my life" state of mind into "oh crap, there is that girl I really like!" So, I hugged her. She hasn't seen me in 4 months, and I just hug her when she comes in late for a wedding. So what do you think? She totally didn't reciprocate the hug! Right at that moment, I said, "I blew that one. OK - back to the emotional moment in my life." And I gave up, just that easily. Prematurely, as it turns out.

After the ceremony, I find out that Carrie has caught the bouquet. For some reason, I go rushing to catch the garter, even though it just came from a part of my sister that I get embarrassed to accidentally brush when I am sitting next to her on the couch. I catch it, after possibly elbowing Brandon, someone takes a photo of me and Carrie together for the first time, and history is made. We talked the rest of the night, and I even went out of my way to get Dionte and play with him in front of Carrie, because, well, chicks dig kids, right? After the wedding, we went to the Bayou, had a great time, went to some club on Beale with Jane, Cullen, and Lena, etc. Great time.

The next day, I leave Tiffany's place and go over to Steph's, where I find Cullen and Jane asleep in the same bed. This is still one of my favorite things that has ever happened. But, whatever - that is beside the point. Carrie and I started dating, and years later we are still together and happy.

I know that Steph and Chip had some issues with the photographer at their wedding. However, quite possibly 2 of my favorite photos ever come from that night. One is of me and Carrie with the garter and the bouquet, and the other is of the two of us at the Bayou. I think those pictures would be the things I grabbed if the house was on fire. Well, other than the Babe Ruth card and the 76 Chateau d'Yquem. Sorry that I have more cherished photos from that night than the actual bride and groom!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

See, those pictures weren't taken by the official photographer! They were taken by other wedding guests. The candids were much better than the real thing!

Happy Anniversary!